Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Bon Jour'.. Calling from French School

I received a call from Sister Mei-I yesterday morning. She asked whether I can help out at the french school. I was told that they were lack of manpower and needed help. I thought it must be pretty cool helping out in a cookhouse. I bathed, changed and set off to my destination, "Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3".
Upon reaching, I gave Sis. Mei-I a call and was given the directions towards the school. The school stand out in the midst of all the industrial buildings. Sis. Mei-I was there to welcome me as I made my way to exchange for a visitor pass. I was then bought to the kitchen where all the action takes place. I thought to myself how cool.!! Which vegetable shall I cut? which meat to marinate? Where are the spices?
The boss came and directed me to help another C.A (Chef Assistant) This means I am a C.A.A (Chef assistant's assistant) How nice!!!! My first task was to sleep the floor, next to pour the rubbish, next to transport the used utensils, next to mop the floor, next to wash the utensils, next to collect the dishes and sort out the utensils. By then, I was shacked and trying to curb the murmuring spirit within me. The verse" Do it as unto the Lord" kept flashing across my mind. I purposed in my heart not to murmur. I carried on even though my back was aching like an old lady. I looked at the old indian lady beside me, hammering her back. What the heck! I can't be in a worse state than her, if she can do it why can't I? I carried on.
After having french cuisine for lunch, I carried on with work. Started by arranging and stacking up cups, followed by arranging trays, carried some tables, refill the water for the food warmer and called it a day. I received my pay for a day's work. $36 !! This much for a day of work!! The boss was nice enough to pay me $6/hr instead of $5.50 due to the last minute arrangement. I got my dad to fetch me. Thanks dad! Well.. What a day! I learnt alot from it. Thank you Lord!

No comments: