Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Day 1

As promised, here's my update on my first day of work at the salmon hatchery

Woke up at 5.45am
Step out of my bed at 6.05 am
Left house at 6.30am
The drive was freakish..
My stupid GPS went cranky again and brought me the long way round.. Haiz..
(Lesson learnt: Never trust a machine)
I drove all the way to New Norfolk and was hoping that I could make my way to Mt Field from there. I went around New Norfolk twice and saw two elderly ladies taking their morning walk .
So I pull over and started asking them for directions.
Called the hatchery manager to inform him that I will be late for my first day of work.
(Tolerable la.. No directions mah)
To cut the long story short..
It took me 2 hours to reach Mt Fields instead of 1.5 hours drive.
And the GPS doesn't recognize Mt Field when you key in this, instead they recognize it was National Park. .. What the Tut!!
Anyway.. .. I reached the hatchery and met up with Mike, the hatchery manager whom is from Canada and had only joined the company last year.
He showed me around and introduced me to the gang.
To my surprise.. there were ladies in the farm.
And infact, all my work partners were ladies. Hahaha.
And guess what's our job??
Picking Eggs!!!!! : )))))))))))))))
Yes.. We were putting the fertilized eyed eggs (eyed because they have developed eyes)
into an egg sorting machine.
The sorting machine will then sort the eggs into "GOOD" and "BAD" eggs by passing the eggs through an infra red sensor. If the infra red passes through the eggs, they will get sorted to one side; which constitutes the "GOOD" eggs... If the light beam fail to pass through properly, the egg get sorted out on to the other side (which are known as the "BAD" eggs obviously..)
So what makes the sorter sort them this way???
The good eggs are clear and beautiful and the light could passed through them easily.
On the other hand, the bad eggs are BAD.. Duh!!! .... and they are opaque or translucent, hence blocking the infra ray from passing through.
Our job is to pick out eggs which has been wrongly sorted. Yes.. The machine isn't fool prove..
We had to pick up eggs individually using a pincer and my poor butt hurts cause they didn't have a chair and I had to sit on a make-shift drum container..
Nevertheless, the job was amazing.. Both the good and bad eggs were beautiful..
The good eggs were shinning and clear and has little eyes in them which wriggles around every now and then.
The bad eggs has this marbling effect between orange and white..
I think the BIG GUY that created all these are amazing..
No wonder of us look amazing too ;)
The only draw back I had was that I have chosen to return home everyday; which takes me 1.5 hours drive. And I had to drive during the night which I am not exactly very keen of..
Oh Lord.. I need yr protection and journey mercies.. :)
To be positive... I only have 5 more of such drive and I saved $200 from staying at the backpackers. :) And.. I get to see Steph and my housemate...
AND... I am paid for this work experience.. WooHoo..

No comments: